Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sleep and Weight Loss

I am feeling so much better today!

I think it has to do with a good night's sleep!  I went to bed around 10:15 last night and, even though I woke up at my usual 5:44, I slept well.  And I made myself stay in bed and I just rested and dozed and relaxed until about 7:30 when I finally got up.  And, man, what a difference from yesterday.  I feel GOOD today!

I have heard all kinds of rumors about sleep being related to weight loss.  Or, more specifically, the lack of sleep being related to weight gain.

I read an interesting article on WebMD about it.  Here's the link:  Sleep & weight gain article.  Really fascinating, and I think there may be something to it. 



I know for sure that this is one of the worst weeks I've had in regards to sleep.  And it was also one of the worst weeks I've had on this journey in relation to food and my mental battle to stay on my journey.

I guess I need to try and make it a priority to get better sleep.  Okay, easier said than done, but definitely worth an attempt just based on what I feel today after one good night's sleep.  The problem is that to find time for doing the things to help me on my journey, sleep is the first thing I sacrificed.  And my journey is too important to give up, so somehow I have to figure out how to get more sleep.  Actually, it probably isn't MORE sleep I need, just BETTER sleep.

One thing that I have changed in the recent past is that I stopped listening to my hypnosis CD as I went to sleep.  Maybe I need to start that back up again.  I may have been sleeping better and just didn't realize it.  I know I was definitely on task every day and had very few issues with my eating habits when I fell asleep listening to the CD every night. 

There are also specific CDs that are supposed to help with sleep patterns and help you sleep a better sleep.  I may have to try those.



Something to think about.  I'm just glad that I feel better. I was worried that they way I was feeling this past week that I might really fall off the wagon and not have the will to get back on. 

So, keep in mind how important sleep is.  We can't stay on our journey to health if we don't have the good sleep.  We've got to make sure we give ourselves the sleep we need or our journeys may take a u-turn.

1 comment:

  1. Sleep definitely affects weight loss for me. If I'm tired, I am not as energetic and I tend to snack more to make up for the fatigue. I also have a hard time working out as hard as I normally do.

    Glad you had your beauty rest! Hope your weekend is equally as restful :)

    ReplyDelete