Saturday, March 3, 2012

Date night.

Well, originally, I had thought I would come up with a plan to deal with date night.  I didn't.  I just sat down this morning (after a wonderful date night) to add up what the calories of what I ate were.  Whew.  Mexican food is really outrageous!  I SHOULD have done this before I went out, but it was a really busy, long week and all I really wanted to do was go out and enjoy some time with my hubby.  Which I did.

However, now that I have looked up all the things I ate last night (I believe I overate the amount of calories I was allowed by about 2000 or so ...) I realize, it really is important to know what you are going into before you get there.  If I knew last night what I know this morning, I would have chosen a lot differently as to what I ate.

For instance, it is the chips that killed me last night.  I love the guacamole dip and chips.  But if I had known that 50 chips are 730 calories, 35 grams of fat and 630 sodium, I think I would have chosen NOT to eat those.  When you add in a cup of the guacamole (we got the large, and I ate most of it - I'd say at least a cup worth) which is 364 calories, 33.3 grams of fat and 344 sodium, then you are talking some major calories/fat just in the appetizer! 

We also ordered chicken wings, which turns out was a really good option.  Six wings is 270 calories, 18 grams of fat (though still a whopping 1308 mg of sodium) plus offers up 18 g of protein.  I also love mushroom quesadillas - 492.2 calories, 27.1 grams of fat, 610.9 sodium and 20.3 g of protein.

Then, of course, add in my cosmopolitan drinks and I just really went over the top.

So, knowing all this now, I will forgo the dip next time.  The wings are fantastic and a fairly smart choice.  Or maybe I'll do just the mushroom quesadilla. 

I'm not giving up my cosmopolitans though!   
                                                                          Smiley

So, the lesson I've learned is that when I know in advance I'm going to go out somewhere, even if I don't want to deprive myself, I can do some research and come up with the best alternatives.  I may still eat over the amount I should, but I won't be blown away by unforeseen, unexpected calories. 

On the other hand, I have been fairly good in my regimen for two months, so one night of revelry isn't going to kill me.  I'm back on track today and I really enjoyed the date and that makes me mentally healthy.

On this journey I am looking to get totally healthy and that means body and mind.  So I'm not going to worry about the calories I ate last night. I have learned something from it and will be better prepared next time.  So, now, I will just continue on my journey in the direction of my healthy self.

No comments:

Post a Comment