Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Emotional Eating.

Emotional Eating.

I am an emotional eater.  Food makes me feel good when I feel bad.  It makes me joyful when I'm happy.  I celebrate with food. 

And I have to now find a way to deal with this.

The hardest is the need to eat when I feel bad.  There's nothing like a Reece's peanut butter cup when things are awful and I feel down.  So, I have to find some other way to meet that need without resorting to food.  And that's hard.  There are very few things that can be as quick a "pick me up" as a peanut butter cup!  What could possibly substitute for that?

And I really have no answer to that.  Yet. 

I need to investigate what it really is that triggers the need to eat when I'm depressed, stressed or just plain down.  And then figure out something that I can do to appease that need when it is triggered.  Maybe a nice long bath with a nice book would be one way to handle it.  Though that takes a lot more time out of my day then popping a peanut butter cup in my mouth.

Or, maybe it's okay to go ahead and have a peanut butter cup.  Instant pleasure.  And if I only eat one, then that's not a waste of calories.  So I can allow some emotional eating, but I have to be careful.  And let's face it, it's not easy to be careful when you are an emotional/hormonal disaster.

At least I recognize the issue.  That's part of a solution all by itself.

The celebration with food is also hard.  For instance, every Saturday during football season (Go Georgia Bulldogs!)  I make "football food" for everyone.  We all look forward to it, revel in it and just really enjoy it.  Dips, chips, wings, ribs, poppers, you name it, I make it.  It's a happy family time.

This one isn't as hard as the emotional one.  I can make foods that are healthier than the glop I've made in the past.  I can make "lighter" versions of those foods, too.  And I can make less than I used to (I used to make enough for an army).

We also always have a Fiesta on the last day of school.  Another celebration with food.  I can plan better choices there as well.

Maybe that is the key.  With Celebration eating, I have control because I can plan those things (as long as I'm the host).  Planning.  I can overcome the problems by planning through them.

Emotional eating isn't really something you can plan for.  You don't know when you are going to have a bad day in advance.  Maybe diversion is the key there.  There has to be something else I can do to relieve my stress/depression/hormones or whatever it is that sets off a bad day.  Wine is nice, but there you go with the empty calories again. 

There has to be some non-food things that can make me happy.  Like, I like to fly kites.  But it's not like I can do that after a long day at work.  I like to read.  I like to blog.  Actually, that may be the thing for me.  Whenever I have a bad emotional time, I need to get on the computer, visit blogs and blog myself.  Inspiration and strength is but a few keystrokes away.  Plus the computer isn't in the kitchen, so that's a plus!

Any ideas would be welcome.  This will be something I have to contend with for the rest of my life, so it will be nice to hear what other people do to avoid emotional eating. 

3 comments:

  1. I can really relate to the emotional eating. This is me too. It is so hard to break this habit, but it can be controlled. Dont be too hard on yourself when it happens. A walk or some kind of exercise may do wonders to mind and body when you feel out of control. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....maybe I can eat a peanut butter cup WHILE I walk! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that I tend to overthink things, and I know if I don't distract myself by reading or cleaning or browsing blogs, I'll talk myself into it. It's tough, but you (and me, too) can do this.

    ReplyDelete