Thursday, March 15, 2012

Priority, Planning and Organization


Priority, Planning and Organization.

Before 1-2-12, I had tried "diets" and trying to "eat better."  But after four kids and a high stress job, it just never happened.  I could never stick with it.  Life got in the way.  Nothing worked.

And I realize now it is because I never gave my health priority.  In fact, I never gave myself ANY type of priority.  It was always about the kids, my hubby, my job, the house, the bills - I came in dead last.

This time is different.  This time, I've made "me" a priority.  Sure, I'm dealing with the guilt over that - who doesn't?  We all tend to put ourselves last in the list of things "to do."  Everyone else is more important.   I think a lot of us have that issue.

My New Year's Resolution wasn't actually to lose weight.  It was more of a "I need to pay more attention to myself" type thing.  My health is not good.  I have high blood pressure and I'm on medication for it.  The doctor tested me for diabetes because of my weight, but luckily I am not diabetic.  Still it was a wake up call.  My youngest is six and I want to be around for her to grow up and have kids of her own.

So I decided 2012 was "me" year.  What this meant is that I MADE myself make time for myself.  My first order of business was to figure out how to add in exercise.  I wasn't ready to tackle the food issue - I love food too much, so I couldn't hit that one right off the bat; it might have cause me to fail right there.  So instead, I  focused on exercise.  But how?  When?  I work full time (plus some!), have four kids, a husband, three dogs and three cats.  How in the world was I supposed to find time?

It wasn't easy.  What it took was planning, organization and prioritizing.  Clearly, I had to take time from somewhere to add in exercise.  So, I took it away from sleep. 

I get up an hour+ early to ride the stationary bike.  Since I planned it in, and since it didn't take time away from my kids, hubby, work, etc, I find I can do it!  And I do do it!  I started on 1-2-12 and I've done it just about every day since.  I ride for 45 minutes to an hour.  And during that time, I read.  Score two for me!  Exercise and pleasure reading at once - two "me" things!

Then I added in weight lifting. This one did require I take some time away from my day. I eat at my desk, so that saves time there. I discovered that I can lift weights right before my daughter's bus comes so I have time to work out and then get down the street to get her off the bus. There was some trial and error in working that in to my schedule, but with planning and organization, I found the best time and I now do it every other day.

More planning came into play in working on the food.  I finally had to tackle that issue.  Losing weight really is important to regaining my health.  So, I now research the meals I plan for calories, fat, etc.  I make a weekly menu and a grocery list from that menu.  I plan in snacks and lunches and breakfasts so that I am able to keep on track as much as possible.  My hubby does the shopping so I am able to take the time to plan the menu.

You can even plan for a future obstacle.  Say you know you are going to have to work late one night.  Plan for it.  Plan for the gang saying, "let's go get a drink" after the meeting is over.  Plan for being starved.  If you think about it, you can come up with something that will work for you.  Maybe eating before the meeting.  Maybe budgeting in the calories for those drinks so you aren't blind sided by it all.


This is why I think it's working this time.  I've lost 10 lbs since 1-2-12.  And I'm still here, still committed, still making "me" a priority.  I still have lingering guilt about focusing on myself, but in the long run, by focusing on me, I'm focusing on my family since it would be hard on them if I died due to health issues.

With planning and organization, we can overcome the obstacles that block us.  Where there is a will, there is a way, and right now, I've got the will!

So, we need to make ourselves a priority.  We need to plan out our exercise and diet.  When we have a plan, there is a better chance we can stick to it.  So face your obstacles and plan a way around them!

You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment