Friday, March 9, 2012

Sabotage.

There are so many things that are just waiting to jump out and sabotage us on our journeys to healthier selves.  I'm amazed, really, at the number of them.  They seem to lurk around every corner, in every closet, and sometimes blatantly smack you upside the head when you are looking straight at them!

This week I have battled several attempts at sabotage.  I've had my beast rearing it's head at me, tempting me with thoughts of decadent food, trying to eat away my willpower. 

I've also faced that lovely demon that seems to come up so often in the journey for
health - time.  It has been an incredibly busy week.  Deadlines looming, too many things to do and not enough time to do them. 

Time really is one of the biggest saboteurs there is.  First, we have to deal with the time issue to even begin our journeys.  We have to make the time to fit exercise into our lives.  We have to make the time to do grocery lists and menus to accompany our new lifestyle.  Which, of course, means taking time from somewhere else.  Second, time has a way of shrinking when we least expect it.  This week, my time for work expanded beyond my expectations, which made the time I had for other things shrink accordingly.  Sometimes it almost seems that time is the evil villain in a story out to make my life miserable just for the fun of it.  Who knew that time was sentient?

So this week, I've ended up not having the time to work out on the bowflex but one day.  I managed it Monday, but had work issues on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I WILL do it today. 

The time saboteur also created other problems.  Not only did I not have time to work out like I wanted to (other than riding the bike - I did that every morning, but that's only because I fit it in before my day starts), but I also didn't have the time to do a proper menu for the week or corresponding grocery list.  That made for some bad options when it came to food.  Because I was too tired and working such long hours, I ended up making unhealthy food choices, simply because they were easy, fast, and, I have to admit, yummy.  (I think part of that sabotage was my beast again - or maybe just emotions - and time is not ALL to blame for that). 

And, tonight, another saboteur - Date Night.  Which I have already discussed before.  I can plan to make better choices tonight than I did last Friday.  But there will still be plenty of calories.  And alcohol - which makes making good choices that much harder!  But, as I said before, there are the obvious benefits to date night which overcome the caloric issues.

The bottom line is to be on the lookout for sabotage.  It can be faced. It can be met.  It can be defeated.  And if not, then pick yourself back up again and start again tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Heehee I like your clock picture! It's funny I'm going through the same thing too. This was the busiest week I've encountered all semester. Got to run 0 times. In 4 days. So I feel ya! Hope you and Dad have a wonderful date night!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is definitely an issue. You'll get back on your running schedule. And it will help you relax and get rid of a lot of the stress you are feeling! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete