Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Living By the Rules

I'm not so good with rules.  I was always the kid who couldn't help but push those limits, test the rules by bending them almost to the point of breaking, and, yes, sometimes, just snapping the dern things in half right off the bat.

So trying to set "rules" to dieting just won't work for me. 

But really, we do need some basic rules in order to lose the weight.  We can't keep doing what we were doing or we won't get the change we are looking for in our journeys.

1.  The first rule would have to be tracking.  We honestly don't have a clue how much we eat and even WHAT we eat all day if we don't learn to track it all.  It's so surprising to see it all when you have to write it down.  And that's the beginning of learning how to lose the weight.  So, to see just what we are doing and what is causing our weight gain (or at least the lack of weight loss), we start to track what we eat.

From the tracking, we learn just where we are going wrong and can then analyze it and fix it. 

2.  The second rule flows from the first:  portion control.  We have a list of what we are eating because we are now tracking it all.  Clearly, by cutting back on our portions, we can make a difference.  Because, believe me.  I'm not one who can cut out certain foods.  I can't cut out sugar.  I just can't do it.  And if I try, I'll end up blowing the diet.  It's not something I can do for life, and I'm in this for the long haul.

So by eating the foods I normally eat but simply watching the portions, I can make a difference.

3.  The third rule would be:  make changes slowly.  When we jump into a diet trying to do it all at once, it becomes overwhelming.  It is best to make small changes at a time.  We aren't in a race here.  We are looking to get healthy and stay healthy for the rest of our lives.  That doesn't happen over night.  So make small changes.

4.  The way to do this is with rule number four:  planning.  The first step might be simply to replace all sodas with water.  Do that for a bit until it becomes second nature.  Next, maybe add in an exercise, even something as simple as taking the stairs at work rather than the elevator.  Plan it out.  Figure out what changes you can do and want to do (and are willing to do) and implement them over time.  Having a plan makes us feel productive.

5.  This brings us to rule number five:  exercise.  This is a hard rule because not everyone has the ability to do all forms of exercise.  I have bad knees, for instance.  So I can't do anything that might require me to be remotely agile ... or athletic ... or coordinated.  Each person is going to have to find an exercise they can not only fit into their schedule, but one they like and will be likely to do.  For me, it is riding the recumbent bike and weight lifting.  No knee issues with those.  For some people, running is key.  For some, walking.  The point is, there is some kind of exercise that you CAN do and that you will actually ENJOY doing.

Even though you can lose weight through eating modification alone, it's not the best way to become healthy for life.  Your body needs exercise, so you are going to have to figure out a way to do it.  Trial and error will help as well.

6.  Rule number six would be to choose your calories wisely.  The key to long term success is to not be deprived.  No one can live a life of deprivation for very long and remain happy.  So, yes, you can have that piece of cake if you really want it.  Just remember those calories, log it in so that it's tracked and then make better choices the rest of the day.  There are days when I could take or leave something, and if I can leave it, great!  That saves calories for something else later on.  Just think about what you are eating.  And just because you make a choice to splurge a bit, don't beat yourself up about it.  You thought it through, you decided it was worth it, and that's all there is to it.  Move on and choose wisely later.

7.  Another important rule is:  do NOT skip meals.  It is so bad for you to skip a meal. It messes with your metabolism.  It makes you feel hungry which then leads to potential binges.  It is totally counter-productive to healthy living.  Eat.  Just think about what you eat.

8.  The last rule would involve support.  You might have family and friends who are very supportive.  You might not.  If not, then blog.  There are a ton of great people out there who will support you and get you through the tough times, and blogging can connect you to them.  Everyone needs support now and then.  Everyone is going to have a tough day and will need someone to help them stay on track and remind them what they are on the journey for.

There are lots of ways to implement these "rules."  You can do like I do and make "light" versions of your favorite foods.  I'm a foodie.  I do not deny it.  I like the rich decadent foods so I find a way to make them "lighter" so I can choose them and still lose the weight.

And really, I don't consider these hard and fast rules.  I don't do well with rules ... let's say they are more guidelines for my journey to a healthier me.  If I think of it that way, I might resist the urge to break them!

1 comment:

  1. Great list of rules. I think I've used these rules in one form another in my own journey!

    ReplyDelete