Thursday, April 19, 2012

Super Foods

Are there really "super foods" that can help us lose weight?

Well, there might be foods that are smart for us to eat, but I don't think there are any specific super foods that if we eat them we'll lose weight.  There's the grapefruit diet, for instance.  Now, I love pink grapefruit.  And it does have lots of healthy benefits - lots of vitamin C, etc. But any diet where all we eat is pink grapefruit would be dangerous, and would inevitably fail.  Who can eat just one thing for any length of time?

I think the key is to eat lots of the so called "super foods" in conjunction with other foods.  Variety is the key for me.

And there are so many foods that are low calorie and taste good!

Tonight I'm going to make shrimp po' boys.  I am going to marinate my shrimp in some Texas Pete for a bit and then I'm going to grill them.  I'm going to use Texas Pete hot sauce for my sauce (rather than mayo or remoulade sauce).  I'm going to pile on shredded lettuce and maybe some sliced tomatoes.  I might even forego the bun (not a big bread eater here) but even if I didn't, that's a very low calorie meal - and it's comfort food!

I'm also going to try microwaved potato chips tonight.

If all this comes together, I'll post it on the recipe section.

But, my point is, any diet that tries to concentrate on one "super food" just isn't going to work.  At least not long term. 

But there are a lot of foods that are "super" for our diets:  apples, eggs, berries, melons, avocados, kiwi, and more.  You know what all those have in common?  They are natural foods - not processed.  And they are packed with vitamins and nutrients.  And the avocado??  Oh, so decadent!  Full of the "good" fat!  Way to feel like you are eating rich!

One thing I have not tried yet is quinoa.  I keep hearing good things about it.  I'm going to have to check it out.

In other news, I dropped to 196.6 yesterday!  However, I tend to fluctuate before I stabilize at a weight, so I'm waiting to see if it will stick or not.  I sure hope so! 

Of course, last night I ate another 3 bags of 100 calorie snacks.  Not the best in choices for me!  I guess it could be worse!

I need to hang in there and try to get more of the "super" foods into my diet. 

Here's hoping that all of you have a "super" day!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your loss!

    I consider my food plan a whole-foods approach where I avoid processed foods as much as possible making most things from scratch. You are totally right that many things are "super foods"

    ReplyDelete