Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Triggers.

A trigger can be defined as:  a factor caused by the environment.  It is also:  the mechanism that sets off a firearm.

In the world of dieting, I'm more inclined to think the second definition is more accurate.

When I hit a trigger, it's most definitely like a firearm has gone off as I ricochet around the kitchen from cabinets to pantry to refrigerator like a wild bullet. 



So what are my triggers?  Sometimes, I honestly don't know. 

Mostly though, I can track them because of my logs and tracking.  I can usually pinpoint what it is that set me off.   Those types of triggers I can fix, or at least understand and try to avoid.  Like the celebration triggers.  I can see those coming from a mile away and attempt to plan around them.

But what about days like yesterday?  What the heck was that all about?  I actually did pretty well.  But there was definitely something going on.  Something that made me want to eat and eat and eat.  The good news is that I didn't.  I was actually pretty good, but I sure WANTED to eat.  And we did end up eating out last night, but that was mostly because of timing - daughter's physical therapy session, my work schedule.  We ate at Tanner's but I ate an appetizer rather than a full meal, so that was not so bad, diet-wise.

Hopefully today will be a day without triggers. 

I guess as time goes on, the more I log and track, the more I'll come to understand my triggers.  There are emotional ones, celebration ones, time-factor ones, stress ... and I just need to learn to get through them without exploding like a bullet.  I need some kind of bullet-proof (trigger-proof) vest that can keep me from damage when a trigger is ... well, triggered.


If I can't have a vest, then maybe I'll have to hope I only get shot in the leg ... that would be damaging, but not fatal.  I guess that was what yesterday was - I was damaged, but didn't keel over.  I was able to get through it, though it was a yucky, icky, grumpy day.

So, be on the lookout for triggers.  Track them, understand them.  Survive them.  At the very least, try and keep the safety on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I know what you mean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I definitely analyze what triggers me going off plan. I can normally sense when I'm most vulnerable and adjust accordingly.

    ReplyDelete