Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thinking Forward

I have come to the conclusion that attitude is so important on this journey. 

It is so often that we dwell on past mistakes and berate ourselves to the point of failure.  That kind of attitude will not work on a journey that is to be for the rest of our lives.  This isn't a short term thing where we just have to do this "diet" for a set time and then be done with it.

In the past four months there have been several times where I have enjoyed special meals, date nights, celebrations that might not have been the healthiest of choices.  But I looked forward rather than back and I'm down to my lowest weight ever.  I just broke that 195 lb barrier and am at 194.6 today!  All while having enjoyed those celebrations of food.  (In fact, I'm still thinking fondly back on my mother's day dinner at Outback Steakhouse - it was really fantastic - dessert included!).  **edit - I just weighed in and am 194.0!!!**

It's the looking forward that is the key.  There are going to be birthday parties, football tailgating, celebration dinners, etc., for the rest of my life.  And I am going to enjoy them.  That is a part of life - a very happy, wonderful part.  So I'm not going to regret the champagne punch at Christmas or the slice of birthday cake or the decadent prime rib dinner.  I am going to think forward.  To keeping up my exercise routine and eating healthy for the majority of the time.

I am so excited that this is working.  I haven't been this positive about myself in a long, long time.  I remember the sick feeling when I would have to go shopping for new clothes.  It was just so darn depressing.  But not any more!  I'm feeling so good!  And, boy, do I have a long way to go, but that's okay.  I'm losing steadily (if slowly). 
So, if you happen to binge or splurge on food that isn't the wisest choice, think forward.  Don't dwell.  Move on and above all, don't hate yourself for it.  It isn't weakness to indulge.  It's life.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with this post x 100!! I think part of the reason it worked for me this time around is that I treated it as a LIFESTYLE change that I was in for the long haul. It wasn't a temporary diet fix. There will be days I eat a bit more. I will enjoy it and move on and get back on track. :) LOVE THIS

    I know clothes shopping is definitely something I enjoy more now! haha

    Have a WONDERFUL DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear you are feeling so positive. Yes, this is a new lifestyle. I even have to keep reminding myself that this is the new "normal". We all have slips but just remember how good you feel now.

    ReplyDelete