Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Thinking vs. Doing

Both thinking and doing are important for a weight loss/journey-to-health adventure.

I used to think that the "thinking" part came before the "doing part" and that once you were done with the "thinking" you didn't need to deal with it again, but actually, they are a continuing, cycling necessity.

I did really well with the "doing" most of last year.  It took a lot of "thinking" to get to the point where I actually started this journey.  I had to be mentally ready before I could start the physical part of it.  Once I hit that "ready" point, I jumped in and did really, really well for a long time.  Then I kind of dwindled off the "doing" and gained some weight back.

After some "thinking" lately, I may finally be back on track.

Right now, I seem to be back in the "doing" phase.  I rode the bike this morning for the first time in weeks.  I also cooked a lower calorie dinner and watched my portions.  I also ordered the Total Gym (the one Chuck Norris says is so great) which I am really excited about.  Maybe adding that in to my work out routine will help keep me on the "doing" side, rather than the "thinking" side.

Clearly, though, the "thinking" is important too.  If your head isn't in the game, your body certainly won't be.  I don't know where I lost my determination and mental edge.  It just kind of dwindled away.  So, I'm fighting to get it back, which I suppose means I'm still in the "thinking" phase as well.

I must say it feels good to finally be DOING something, though.  The bike ride was great.  I feel really good!  I'm proud that I am actually doing something again.

And I am really excited about the Total Gym.  It looks fluid, which my aging joints need.  And it uses your own weight (and the angle of the bench) for the resistance.  And I still have the bowflex as well.  I've been looking for that extra "something" to get me kick-started, and I think this is it.  I will definitely keep you posted on how it works!

So, what I have learned is that while I'm "doing" I feel great and things go along on their own steam, but I can't forget to "think" along the way or else I lose my determination, will, drive and fire for fighting my way on this roller-coaster ride to good health.

Today I feel like this:



I will keep you guys posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment