Thursday, June 13, 2013

Exercise Makes Me Hungry



Suddenly I am ravenous.  ALL THE TIME.

The only thing I've changed is adding in the Total Gym workouts.  Which makes me theorize that it is my body needing extra ... something ... due to the exercise.

Unfortunately, my brain is unable to decipher what that "something" is and I just find myself EATING.

We ate lunch out yesterday (Chinese) because I was starving after running to the mall (Father's Day shopping).  I just couldn't wait to eat, so I ate out.  For dinner I was able to make better choices even though I was starved.  Well, sort of better.  I made veggies for dinner again.  I stuffed more 8 ball zucchini - this time with hamburger meat, northern beans, onions, garlic, chili powder and Italian seasoning.  Very tasty.  I also made golden egg squash (it's a yellow zucchini) and mashed potatoes.  So the not so good part was that I used butter in the squash (something I haven't done for over a year).  AND I put cream cheese and Mexican cheese in the mashed potatoes.  The good news was that I only had one helping of everything.  The bad news is that one helping was probably a huge amount of calories.  And I was still so hungry after that that I ate a 100 calorie bag of popcorn for snack.

I'm hoping as my body gets used to the new exercise, it will settle down and I won't be so hungry.  I'm not sure what to do in the meantime as my willpower is a puddle around my toes these days.

My daughter (7 year old) gets starved like this when she is about to have a growth spurt.  I sure hope I'm not about to have a growth spurt, but if I continue to eat like this, I certainly will be getting larger around!

I think I will try and eat more protein.  I seem to recall last year feeling hungry and weak and when I added in protein it helped.  I've hard boiled some eggs to have as a quick snack, so maybe that will help.

In the meantime, I'll keep exercising.  The building muscle should start burning more calories, so maybe I'm heading towards that tipping point I have hit at times.  So, I'll keep it up!





2 comments:

  1. I definitely have to find a balance between eating enough for my exercises but not going overboard and eliminating my workout burn.

    Good luck finding what works for you! Stay hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hydration is a great idea - I didn't even think that might be part of my problem. The extra exercise probably means I need to drink more water. I'll try that and see if it helps!

      Delete