Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Back Pain

I just can't seem to get a break.  I was finally feeling so much better and we began decorating for Halloween on Sunday.  I bent over (not lifting or anything) and my lower back went out.  Not even sure what I did!  I just know it really hurts!  So I haven't been able to exercise since then.  I can barely sit in a chair much less do anything strenuous.  It is feeling slightly better, so I"m hopeful it will heal soon.

I sure do hate getting old.

I read a blog the other day that has me a bit down.  She commented that she was having issues herself on the weight loss front and that it always made her feel bad to read all these blogs that talk about what their new plans are for losing weight and how when she reads them she knows they are going to fail.

It took me aback.  Do people read my blog and thing I'm going to fail?  That all my struggles that I put out here are just a waste of time? AM I going to fail?  Am I doomed to?  Is that how this comes across?

I guess I'm a bit down myself given the flu and then the back, and maybe that's why that comment hit me so hard.  Because I had thought I was putting up the good fight.  Getting up when I fall down and all that.  But I"m looking at the scale and maybe that woman was right.  I lost 24 lbs last year.  I gained some back so that now the total lost is 20 lbs.  So I haven't lost ANYTHING this year (well, overall I have - I re-lost what I had gained back) but I haven't gotten even back to where I had lost last year.

I guess I'm just frustrated.

I look at all the issues I'm having and they sure do look a lot like excuses.

All I can do is keep trying.  I can't think of this as a waste of time or energy.  How can exercise and eating right be a waste of time even if I'm holding steady?  At least I'm not gaining.  And any exercise is good, right?

So, I just have to get through my latest snag and rest a bit until my back is ... well, back.

Hopefully my back injury won't cause me to add back weight.  I'll do my best to eat better and a lot less since I can't exercise to offset it.

I'll get through this.  Maybe.


4 comments:

  1. Back pain is no joke. It normally happens to me if I do too much yard work or workout without stretching.

    Do you have some good stretching DVDs or videos you could do? I find lying down on my back with my knees balled up and rolling around focusing on my spin area really helps relieve any tension around there.

    Good luck with everything. No failure is forever unless you give up. I think maintaining a 20 lb loss thus far is something that should be celebrated too.

    I hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I do need to find some kind of back exercises. I try and do the bowflex, but nothing really targets that lower back. I like the stretching idea - I'll have to find something that works for me. I really, really don't want this to happen again.

    Thanks for the comment about celebrating what I have done. I keep forgetting that 20 lbs is a big deal because it's something I did last year, but as you said, it isn't back up!

    Thanks for the pick me up! I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I hope that person doesn't read mine, too! I'm in more or less the same boat as you. I've been steadily maintaining 65 lbs gone, but as being really slow about the rest.

    Hope your back feels better soon! Its sucks so much when you can't move to function in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lisa - 65 lbs gone is AMAZING! But I know what you mean about it going slowly now and it gets so darn frustrating! Thanks for your support. It really, really helps!

      Delete